Week 12- TRANSidentities
FOR TODAY WATCH Boys Don’t Cry Boys Don’t Cry (dir. Kimberly Peirce, 1999, 118min. AND The Brandon Teena Story
– RJ: Respond to Halberstam’s and Eilerass’s analysis with your own analysis of the two film. Do fiction and nonfiction films hold different potentials for transgender cinema? How do the two texts compare?
– READ: Unclosing Brandon Halberstam
- Discussion of Halberstam lead by __________
And “The Brandon Teena Story: Rethinking The Body, Gender Identity and Violence Against Women” by Karina Eileraas
– In Class: Where do “identity politics” reinsert themselves into debates over queer cinema?
And The Trouble When Jane Becomes Jack by Paul Vitello
- Selections chosen by __________who will lead a discussion of the differences in representing FTM issues vs. MTF issues.
– In Class Discuss: How queer theory and queer cinema accommodate transgender lives?
– In class: Watch sections of Ma Vie En Rose (dir. Alain Berliner, 1997, 88 min)
MAYBE: Selections from Shinjuku Boys (dir. Kim Longinotto, Jano Williams, 1995, 53 min)