– RJ: How is Hedwig a queer movie? What is your response to this film viscerally? Intellectually? How does queer theory help us to understand queer cinema? (2-3 paragraphs)
– READ: Annamarie Jagose, Ch. 8/ “Contestations of Queer” and Judith Butler, Bodily Inscriptions, Performative Subversions
- _____________ leads Discussions
– In class discuss:
- How does queer cinema help us to understand queer theory?
- How does queer theory help us to understand queer cinema?
- Could queer cinema itself be a form of queer theory?
– FOR 2/3 WATCH: Paris is Burning (dir. Jennie Livingston, 1990, 71 min)