USEFUL CINEMA STUDIES TERMS:
– READ: Laura Mulvey, “Visual Pleasure & Narrative Cinema”
- ___________leads discussion
And New Lesbian Film (Anat Pick) Chapter 8 (NQC)
– In class discuss: Women and cinema: pleasure, spectacle, narrative, and objectification
– RJ: What are the linchpins of Mulvey’s argument? What is its value? In what ways does Mulvey overstate her argument? What is the value of overstatement? How can we envision her “radical cinema”? How does this work in High Art?
– Screening of Hairspray (dir. John Waters, 1988, 92 min) after class.
– Screen together for 2/17: My Own Private Idaho (dir. Gus Van Sant, 1991, 104 min)